For the soup:
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the pieces of bacon and cook for a few minutes or until they start colouring. Add another 2 tbsp. of oil together with chopped onion, garlic and leek. Keep cooking while stirring regularly until everything is soft.
- Add the chopped carrot, celery, zucchini and potato and stir well for a minute or two. Add the stock, the chickpeas and then the tomatoes. Season with a few pinches of salt (be careful if your stock is already salted).
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potato pieces are just soft. Add the kale and the tortellini and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until they are both soft and tender. Taste and add extra salt if necessary.
- Serve with a spoonful of pesto, a few drops of old balsamic vinegar and a generous portion of grated Parmesan cheese, if you wish.
For de basil or parsley pesto:
- Chop all the ingredients together until you obtain a nice, fine pesto. Use it as a finishing touch for the minestrone.